Thursday, August 11, 2016

Minimal Layers + A Short Story (8.11.2016)


Today's post is going to be a bit of a shorter one, since I've been working quite a bit lately (I just finished seven days straight) and haven't been able to make much time for mixed media. However, among the chaos I was able to make time to put together one page, which is actually pretty minimal in its layers compared to a lot of the other art I've been working on lately.

This page was actually done on the inside of the folded piece of card stock Unseen Beauty was created on, and you can see a little bit of where I began the next page in the edges of these photos. Consider it a sneak peek.


I'm not quite sure why I decided to call this page Awake, considering that I most likely wan't fully awake when I finished it. However, there is a ton that I love about this page and I want to touch on a few points.
  • I started this page off with a page out of the phone book, glued onto the page upside down. The intention was always to keep the layers thin so that the text could show through and I succeeded in doing just that.
  • As you can see in both the left and right hand photos, there are some areas with a scallop pattern. That effect was achieved by putting down a bit of a thicker layer of white acrylic paint and using the end of my paintbrush to carve away the pattern for a bit of texture.
  • The pink circles were collaged down onto the page, and then blended into the background using layers of paint, both acrylic and watercolor, gelatos, oil pastels and a gel pen. I really wanted to focus on these circles in particular on this page - the concept was really what inspired the whole thing.

As much as I love this page, I want to pull away for a minute in order to bring attention to something that one of my art journal pages brought into being. I wrote a short story the other day - I'd say it was in the thriller genre, and it was inspired by a brainstorming session I did while looking at The Evolution of an Idea.

I got there in a pretty roundabout way, and it's not really easy to see any similarities between the two pieces, but there was a connection, just the same. It's called Chosen Fate and can be found here if you want to check it out!

In the end, even though I've been exhausted recently, it makes me happy to share these things with you guys. I hope you enjoy seeing the finished pieces as much as I enjoy making them and I hope to see you all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment