Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A Fresh Start (7.26.2016)

Before I get into the actual art, a bit of a note about the World of Immensum

Even though all of my more formal artwork all takes place in the same world, my mixed media is more of place for me to play with ideas and techniques - they don't have specific ideas in mind, but they can inspire ideas. With that being said, until I figure out a way to share the stories that come up from this sort of mixed media, I will be focusing on the latter.

Now, without further ado, the art journal awaits!


In order to kick this project off strong, I decided to begin a new journal. 

This is the cover page, which I always love to start with before moving on to the actual pages. For a lot of people, the complete opposite is the case - they like to finish their entire journal before polishing the whole thing off by completing the covers. Either way is fine, this is just the way I like to do it. 


These pictures show a lot of the finer details/my favorite bits of this particular cover.

  • In the left hand photo, you can see a lot of the texture that I got from my stamped title piece. I used foam stamps and a mixture of red and brown acrylic paint. Then I simply loaded it on and allowed it to dry. I also love where the tiny bit of the butterfly wing overlaps with said title piece.
  • On the right, there are a lot of things going on that I love. The thing that sticks out to me the most though is the patterned piece of tissue paper that is pretty much front and center. I've been hoarding it for a long while now, because I found it almost too pretty to use. However, I finally broke, and I'm glad that I did as it fits perfectly. The horizontal brush strokes were done with a metallic paint that I adore.



This is the second piece that I've finished in the past few days, and I'm pretty happy with it. The idea was to work with brighter, more playful colors (thus the title), and was done in a much smaller format, on a 3x5 index card.

A big part of my style is that I don't like to be limited to any one thing, including what types of canvases or background pieces I decide to work on. This is a prime example of just that.


As you can see, the title was cut out of newspaper titles and glued down (I've collected many cut-out letters through the years and have them organized into envelopes for easier access).

With the finer details of this piece, you can see that there are some areas where I put down white paint and then proceeded to scratch it away in a circular pattern, revealing the background behind it. The drawn lines along the yellow paint marks are also incredibly appealing to me.

I tend to use a lot of paint and layers in my mixed media, and these pieces are no exception. I hope you all enjoy looking at these pieces as much as I enjoyed making them, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment