Friday, July 15, 2016

Introducing - The World of Immensum + The Challenge

Immensum.

The word is Latin, and one of its several translations is "boundless extent".

That is exactly what I am trying to achieve with the World of Immensum.

The concept is simple, but hopefully intriguing to people other than just me. The idea is that every piece of art I create, everything I write or collage or compose - it all takes place in the same world. At some point on the timeline, at some place in the universe, that thing is happening (or, in the case of art, it is a representation of the things that are happening).

This blog is going to serve as a place for you to see inside of my process a little bit, but it's more than that.

In all honesty, this blog is a place to record a subset of this world - a challenge that I have set for myself.

And what is that challenge?

It is something that, in theory should be easy, but it is also a tremendous thing for me to try to undertake, due to my own struggles.

I want to create a series of paintings, collages, assemblage, and just general mixed media art pieces only from art supplies that I already own. For the people that know me, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, considering that I probably have enough art supplies to let an army build their own weapons.

However, the struggle is that I like buying art supplies.

I like experimenting with new things, I like playing with supplies I never thought I'd use in a million years, and I like the way buying new supplies makes me feel.

Because of this, I've decided that I can't go completely cold turkey, no matter how much I might want to.

So instead, I'm going to set a small budget for myself, and that budget is $25 a month. This includes any basic supplies I may have run out of, so if I want a canvas for something, it's coming out of that money.

It is accumulative, so if I decide that I want to save up for something that's $50, $75 or any other amount, I can do that. It's just longer that I can go without buying anything else.

It's definitely not going to be an easy task for me, to cut back on impulse buying so drastically.

However, some of the best contributions to creativity and innovation have come from restrictions and guidelines - that's what I'm attempting to do here. I don't know how long this self-challenge will last (but feel free to jump in yourself at any point), but I do know that I'm looking forward to sharing it with all of you.

Welcome to the World of Immensum.

No comments:

Post a Comment